If you have a legal or tax-related question, Foundation Center librarians may be able to point you to resources for informational purposes only, but we cannot give specific legal or tax advice. For definitive answers, you should consult an attorney or accountant.
Below are selected lists of pro bono legal service providers compiled by other organizations. If you cannot find legal services with these lists, here are some ways to find free or low-cost legal services for nonprofits in your area:
- Local bar associations may have pro bono programs and/or referral services.
- Your state's nonprofit association may offer referral services to attorneys, accountants, and other nonprofit consultants.
- Martindale-Hubbell Lawyers.com or LegalMatchlets you search by state, province, or city for attorneys specializing in your legal issue. You will need to ask individual lawyers about their pro bono services.
Powered by Pro Bono: The Nonprofits Step-by-Step Guide to Scoping, Securing, Managing, and Scaling Pro Bono Resources is Taproot Foundation’s how-to guide for bringing capacity building resources into your nonprofit.
Beyond Cash Guide for Nonprofit Boards is a guide on how nonprofit boards can tap pro bono and in-kind resources, co-written by Taproot Foundation and BoardSource.
Please note that some providers may charge nominal fees to defray costs or limit their services to nonprofits in specific fields, like arts or human services. Contact a provider directly or visit its web site to learn about their requirements.
If you are paying someone to prepare your IRS forms (e.g., Form 990 or Form 1023), s/he must have a current Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN). Providers who prepare these forms without compensation are not required to have a PTIN. Learn more about PTIN requirements.
In addition to lists of providers, selected web sites below include blogs and organizations that discuss legal topics relevant to nonprofits.
Search the Knowledge Base
You May Also Like
Questions by Category
- Funding Resources
- Funding Research
- Nonprofit Management
- Individual Grantseekers
- Resources for Non-U.S. Grantseekers
- Preguntas y respuestas en español